As I mentioned in my last post, we finally closed on the house this past Friday. We got started right away. With our building permit in hand, we taped the windows, doors, and grabbed as many crow bars as possible and the Mister and I started whacking away. I've never demo-ed a wall before, but it.is.the.best.therapy. Ron refers to our weekend of demolition as a romantic date. I guess it was "romantic" despite my sweaty...er....glistening self and finding bits of plaster in random places!
Below are some before and after shots to give you an idea of what we are going after. The vision is to open up the first floor so the foyer, living room and dining room all flow together. We decided to keep a little bit of framing in between the areas to differentiate the rooms and not have a just one large great room. It was a plan of compromise in order to achieve flow but still have some coziness in the different spaces.
Before - Foyer looking to the living room and dining room walls to the right
Before -Dining Room
Before - Living room into the dining room
Me- fully prepared with mask, goggles and crow bar in hand.
After- After 10 hours, the dining room wall is gone! We plan to add a 1 foot header to all the doorways, and hopefully find a cool raw beam to use as the header.
After - we scaled back the walls from the foyer leading into the living room
After- we also scaled back the walls leading from the living room into the dining room. The guy on the ladder is our good friend and FANTASTIC contractor, Jason.
More updates to come!