Monday, January 16, 2012

Blank Canvas Day


This Saturday I'm teaming up with Cary Umhau and Joey Katona who are the creators of a new movement called Spacious to lead a very fun event. Cary and Joey launched this initiative a few months ago, and their vision is one that every person NEEDs to be a part of!



The Spacious mission says it all, "We’re engaged in a playful revolution to help people bust out of the straitjackets, cubicles and little boxes we all find ourselves in from time to time." Their vision is to help people realize that there is more to life, but in order to discover what else is out there we have to be willing to have fun, engage with people who may not be carbon copies of ourselves, challenge ourselves to do new and even unusual things....or as Spacious eloquently puts it "bust out of our straitjackets, cubicles and little boxes."

I love this idea, and it may seem a bit radical for some folks, but those are probably the folks who really need to experience some Spaciousness in their lives.

So what is this intriguing event going on this Saturday you may ask? Well, it's called Blank Canvas Day. It's a bit of a mix between a party, art therapy, and reuniting with your inner child. I was inspired to do this event because so many of us (artists or not) have a fear of starting....of putting the first dollop of paint on the canvas, or typing the first letter on a Word document, or even reaching out and just saying hello to someone. We fear we'll fail, or do it wrong, so we don't do anything at all, and that is where we miss out on the "more" part of life.



Even as an interior designer where my job requires me to be creative every day and churn out new ideas, I can get paralyzed when I've hit a creative block or my perfectionistic tendencies win out and I just can't move forward. However, I tend to break through when I take the pressure off myself, go for a walk, and just start creating design schemes. I can then take my time to edit, change, move, fix, etc. But I have to start somewhere...



So this Saturday, we plan to do just that - challenge each other to just start. It's going to involve a bit of play, some drawing, some painting, and some laughing. At the end of our time together, my hope is that people will walk away a bit freer, a bit more lighter and ready to just start somewhere!

Space is limited and if you'd like to sign up you can do so here.

I hope to see some of you on Saturday!

images 1/2/3

No comments:

Post a Comment